Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, March 5, 2016

ANOTHER ADVENTURE

If you've linked here from my Barter Van blog then you are already familiar with my "problem" of never-ending wanderlust.  If you are new to me and my story, and have a lot of time on your hands,  you can read all about my previous attempt at living in a van full-time there. In any case, welcome to my second attempt, this time in a 13 foot 1976 Boler camper! I hope you stick around, maybe share your story with me, and by all means contact me with questions or comments. It can get lonely on the road and I always welcome the company!

Here we go again.

 

It's that time again where I get restless and look for ways to make full-time travel my lifestyle. Well, if I'm honest, I'm ALWAYS researching and trying to find ways to do this. I've recently been hired by  La Have River Campground here in Nova Scotia and will be working from May 15- October 15, 2016. So, that's five months of the year figured out as far as making money goes. I will be living on site while working in the store and the office, taking reservations, cleaning showers and rental huts, and (my favorite duty) monitoring the slip n slide!

How did I get this position you ask? I was working away on a menial task one day at one of my three jobs and I thought to myself, "maybe I can work at a campground". Now, I had this thought before but when I researched it I was discouraged that all information was aimed at snowbirds; retired people, and mostly couples, of which I am neither. But this day, as my mind wondered about how to escape this three-job-rat-race I'm in, I thought about the people I bought my van from. They own a campground! So, I contacted one of the owners through Facebook. Luckily, she had been following my Barter Van blog and remembered me. It just so happened that she didn't have a full time worker for the 2016 season and after some back-and-forth she hired me! Well, that was easy I thought. Truth be told, while I was waiting to hear back about that job I looked up every privately-owned campground in Nova Scotia and sent them all resumes, just in case I didn't get that job. I did eventually hear back from a couple and if La Have decides they don't want me back I have some leads for next year. Just goes to show, it never hurts to ask.

But that leaves winter.

 

Let me state the obvious; Canada is cold in the winter. There is no way I want to live through a Nova Scotia winter in my camper. Therefor, I am currently researching campgrounds that stay open all winter in British Columbia, our warmest province. I have also joined up with WWOOFing in case I can find a volunteer job that suits me and my dog. If you aren't familiar with that organization it stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. It pairs volunteers with farms and homesteads where you can learn about how to live more sustainable, something I am also interested in.

Ideally, though, I would love to be driving around the southern and mid-west states in the winter but this can't happen this year due to the terrible exchange on the Canadian dollar right now. So, for now, I have no real plan of what to do when this job is over. Am I panicked? You betcha!  But I'm slightly less anxious than working 50 hours a week to pay my bills while having few of what I would call "valuable experiences". There just HAS to be a better way to spend this life and I'm determined to figure it out.

So, from the comfort of your heated homes with electricity and flush toilets, join me on this new adventure. Hopefully it will be interesting and maybe even inspire you to discover and pursue the life you want, no matter how unconventional.

2 comments:

  1. you go girl! I can't wait to follow along in your adventure as you take the next step so many of us can't (or won't) to doing what we say we want to do! xo Mod Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Miss Mod Betty! I'm really looking forward to my crash course on living in a camper. It will be complete luxury compared to my van, which I absolutely loved and miss but couldn't stand up in. RIP Barter Van.

    ReplyDelete